Click the button above to go to the Tour de Fleece Blog entries
July 27th, 2009
- The Tour de Fleece 2009 is over (as is the Tour de France!) and the maillots for the participants are posted on the blog. Please download either the Maillot Jaune 2009 or Prix de la Combativité 2009 image file, as appropriate (guidelines are provided in the post) and proudly post the file to your blog or website!
June 1st, 2009
- The new home page for the 2009 edition of Le Tour de Fleece is up.
- More updates to the site shortly.
Welcome to the 2009 edition of Katherine's Tour de Fleece spinning challenge. For those who participated in any of the previous Tour de Fleece challenges, it's a little bit different again this time out -- this year, it will be a very low key challenge, as life finds me spread a little thin approaching the start of both the Tour de France and Tour de Fleece.
I've been fortunate in having a proposal accepted for making a presentation at PAB (Podcasters Across Borders) in June, but I'm finding the preparation for it is not leaving me with much time or energy for knitting or spinning.
However, by the time both the Tours start on July 4th, PAB will be done and I will be ready to clear my mind, settle in front of the TV to watch the race and spin... something.
So this year, I'm not setting a specific challenge for participants in the Tour de Fleece -- just set yourself a personal spinning challenge as defined in the rules below.
Eligibility: Any spinner who would like to take on a spinning challenge during the 2009 Tour de France bicycle race.
Concept: You will set yourself a personal spinning challenge. You will begin spinning on the first stage of the Tour (July 4th), and finish on or before the last stage (July 26th). You, of course, may spin on those days designated rest days for the riders.
1. The idea is to set yourself a challenge. It doesn't matter what the challenge is -- it could be spinning fine for the first time, or producing an artsy fartsy yarn as an exercise, it could be spinning enough for a specific project. If you've always wanted to spin a little every day (say, a spinning meditation practice), but never seem to find time for it, perhaps that could be the challenge -- spinning every morning of the tour. What matters is you set out the challenge, and meet it during the specified time.
2. There will be no spinning before the start of the first stage.
3. You must finish spinning before the last stage ends.
4. You may sample and do other research as needed beforehand if it helps you decide on your challenge, or will help provide you the tools and information you need to meet the challenge.
The Maillot Jaune (Yellow Jersey)
As much as I enjoy the different categories of the Tour de France, for the purposes of the Tour de Fleece, there is only one option -- the Maillot Jaune (Yellow Jersey). Either you meet your challenge, or you don't.
Finishers will get a button for their blog, which will be essentially the same as last year's version. Of course, there is the immense pride in undertaking the Tour and riding -- er -- spinning to completion.
Entering the Tour de Fleece 2009
To enter the Tour de Fleece 2009 spinning challenge, please leave a comment stating your name (nicknames are acceptable) and the URL for your blog or the webpage where you'll be reporting your spinning progress during the running of this year's Tour de France bicycle race. You can also submit your entry by e-mail via the link in the sidebar -- make sure you put "Tour de Fleece" in the subject line.
Entries will be posted below -- please check the list for your entry, allowing a couple of days from the time you submit it for me to update the list. If you haven't been added to the list of participants after a few days, please let me know in the comments or by e-mail as I may have missed seeing it the first time around.
Although the aim is to start on July 4th, as in past years, if you find us late, you can still feel free to hop aboard -- just set a challenge that will be appropriate to the time left before the end of the Tour.
Here are the spinners participating in the Tour de Fleece 2009:
- Katherine (the Tour de Fleece's organizer) -- blogs: 42.1 and apparknitchik
- Mary Katherine
- Tina M.
- Lisa B.
- Rebecca (Both Twins)
- Peggy (Both Twins)
- Meg C.
- Connie (spinnerholm)
- Amy (Imageek)
- drMolly, the Bean Queen
- Stan Holt
- the Shizzknit
- Linda H.
- Deb on the Web
- Eve H.
- Anita T.
- Paula D.
- Dragon in the Rain
- Karma (KarmaKnits)
- Pat (DataKnitter)
- Susan R.
- Argos the Weaver
- Red State Green
- Audrey (Meaford Fiber Arts Collective on Facebook)
The idea is that we'll all post our progress on our blogs, but don't worry if you don't have a blog -- feel free to share your progress in the comments here on the Tour de Fleece blog!
All participants are encouraged to spread the word about the Tour de Fleece, and can post a copy of this badge on their blog with a link back to this site:
Note: Please do not link from your blog/website directly to the file on this site. Instead, please download a copy of the badge to your PC by right-clicking on the badge and selecting "Save image as..." (or whatever equivalent term your browser/OS uses...); then upload the image file to your blog. Thanks!
The Tour de Fleece Blog
This is the link to the Tour de Fleece blog for 2009.
Didn't participate last year? Just want to revisit everyone's progress from the first event? You can also go back to the blog for the 2006 Tour de Fleece.