Click the button above to go to the Tour de Fleece Blog entries
July 23rd, 2008 (NEW)
- In response to some requests for Tour de Fleece swag, a new CafePress shop has been opened featuring items with an undated Tour de Fleece logo. As in past years, proceeds from the sales will be donated to the charitable organization Dyana Afghan Women's Foundation.
June 25th, 2008
- New home page to get the site ready for the 2008 edition of Le Tour de Fleece. Check again soon for more updates.
Welcome to the 2008 edition of Katherine's Tour de Fleece spinning challenge. For those who participated in last year's Tour de Fleece 2007, it's a little bit different this time out -- this year, it's a "Spin from your Stash" challenge. Find something that's been aging gracefully in your stash, and do something with it during the Tour!
(Okay, okay -- if you *really* don't want to work from stash, you can still join in -- just set yourself a challenge as defined in the rules below.)
Eligibility: Any spinner who would like to take on a spinning challenge during the 2007 Tour de France bicycle race.
Concept: You will set yourself a personal spinning challenge. You will begin spinning on the first stage of the Tour (July 5th), and finish on or before the last stage (July 27th). You, of course, may spin on those days designated rest days for the riders.
1. The idea is to set yourself a challenge. It doesn't matter what the challenge is -- it could be spinning fine for the first time, or producing an artsy fartsy yarn as an exercise, it could be spinning enough for a specific project. If you've always wanted to spin a little every day (say, a spinning meditation practice), but never seem to find time for it, perhaps that could be the challenge -- spinning every morning of the tour. What matters is you set out the challenge, and meet it during the specified time.
2. There will be no spinning before the start of the first stage.
3. You must finish spinning before the last stage ends.
4. You may sample and do other research as needed beforehand if it helps you decide on your challenge, or will help provide you the tools and information you need to meet the challenge.
The Maillot Jaune (Yellow Jersey)
As much as I enjoy the different categories of the Tour de France, for the purposes of the Tour de Fleece, there is only one option -- the Maillot Jaune (Yellow Jersey). Either you meet your challenge, or you don't.
Finishers will get a button for their blog, which will be essentially the same as last year's version. Of course, there is the immense pride in undertaking the Tour and riding -- er -- spinning to completion.
Entering the Tour de Fleece 2008
To enter the Tour de Fleece 2008 spinning challenge, please leave a comment stating your name (nicknames are acceptable) and the URL for your blog or the webpage where you'll be reporting your spinning progress during the running of this year's Tour de France bicycle race. You can also submit your entry by e-mail via the link in the sidebar -- make sure you put "Tour de Fleece" in the subject line.
Entries will be posted below -- please check the list for your entry, allowing a couple of days from the time you submit it for me to update the list. If you haven't been added to the list of participants after a few days, please let me know in the comments or by e-mail as I may have missed seeing it the first time around.
Although the aim is to start on July 5th, as in past years, if you find us late, you can still feel free to hop aboard -- just set a challenge that will be appropriate to the time left before the end of the Tour.
Here are the spinners participating in the Tour de Fleece 2008:
- Katherine (the Tour de Fleece's organizer) -- blog: 42.1
- Liz (1)
- Liz (2)
- Quantum Tea
- Rebecca and Peggy
- The Park Bench Knitter
- Ann B.
- Lisa F.
- Linda P.
- Breanna S.
- Paula D.
- Kim in NJ
- Doug (AKA knits4bears)
- Fire Lizard
- Barbara K.
- John (Goatboy on Ravelry)
- Karen P. in Ohio
- Ellen (Theirishknitwit on Ravelry)
- Mary Katherine
The idea is that we'll all post our progress on our blogs, but don't worry if you don't have a blog -- feel free to share your progress in the comments here on the Tour de Fleece blog!
All participants are encouraged to spread the word about the Tour de Fleece, and can post a copy of this badge on their blog with a link back to this site:
Note: Please download a copy of the badge to your PC by right-clicking on the badge and selecting "Save image as..." (or whatever equivalent term your browser/OS uses...); then upload the image file to your blog. Thanks!
The Tour de Fleece Blog
Click here for the Tour de Fleece 2007 blog.
Didn't participate last year? Just want to revisit everyone's progress from the first event? You can also go back to the blog for the 2006 Tour de Fleece.